Originally published in December 2014, this piece investigates the cross- influence between fascism and radical environmentalism. Beginning in Germany in the early 20th century, we see how green utopian tendencies were incorporated into the Nazi party and how reactionary versions of environmentalism continue to influence today’s radical counter-cultures and political movements as well as how a radical populism is being used by silicone valley ideologues to develop a framework for a technocratic dystopia.
“We are still living with the same crisis. Meaning has yet to be restored. Around the world a new movement is emerging.
Across the globe, a reactionary wave has presented itself as the answer to the question posed six years ago. In Greece, Ukraine, Thailand, Venezuela, Russia, and Italy, neofascist parties have reemerged in the form of militant street-level uprisings. In the United States, fascist influences have begun to permeate the cultural, artistic, technological, and deep ecology movements.
In particular, the strong historical precedence of fascist influence on the legacy of ecological movements illuminates a need to take this situation seriously.”
Music by the UK antifascist band Crisis, whose members Tony Wakeford and Douglas Pearce went on to form the cryptofascist neo-folk band Death in June. Wakeford also joined the fascist British National Front. The band can be seen as a case study for how radicals can turn to fascism.
1. The European Graduate School. “Ernst Haeckel Biography”. EGS Library. 2012
2. Kennedy, Gordon and Kody Ryan. “Hippie Roots & the Perennial Subculture”. Hippyland, May 13, 2003
3. Ourednik, Patrik. Europeana. Dalkey Archive Press, 2005. Print.
4. Biehl, Janet and Peter Staudenmaier. Ecofascism: Lessons From the German Experience. San Francisco: AK Press, 1995. Print.
5. NYC Antifa. “Why We Don’t Like Death In June”. NYC Antifa. September 16, 2013
6. Anon. “Fascists Rally at Stella Natura Collective”. Who Makes The Nazis.
August 19, 2013
7. Circle Ansuz Collective. “Stephen McNallen Part 4: Stella Natura and What Can be Done”. Circle Ansuz. September 9, 2013
8. Flies On the Wall. “Report From Sentencing…”. Portland Indymedia. June 1, 2007
9. Antidoto and The Flaming Sword. “Esoteric Hitlerist: An Interview With Miguel Serrano”. Black Sun Invictus. 2008
10. Block, Nathan. “Loyalty Is Mightier Than Fire”. loyaltyismightierthanfire.tumblr.com
11. Whitehead, John W. “Charles Manson’s Race War: The Beatles and Helter Skelter”. The Huffington Post. August 3, 2009
12. Block, Nathan and Joyanna Zacher. “First Epistle: Phoenix From the Flames”. Portland Indymedia. July 11, 2007
13. Sunic, Tom. “Julius Evola On Race”. The Occidental Observer. May 1, 2010
14. Evola, Julius. “Synthesis of a Doctrine of Race.” Hoepli. 1941
15. Evola, Julius. The Problem of the Supremacy of the White Race. Rome: Lo Stato. 1936
16. Stucco, Guido. Translator’s Introduction. The Yoga of Power By Julius Evola. Rochester: Inner Traditions, 1993. Print.
17. Kasama. “The Solstice: On the Rise of the Right-Wing Mass Movements”. Kasama Project. February 24, 2014
18. Smiley, Lauren. “Post-Immigration March Scuffle Targets National Anarchists” SF Weekly. May 1, 2010
19. Bookchin, Murray. Social Ecology versus Deep Ecology: A Challenge for the Ecology Movement. Burlington: Green Perspectives, 1987. Print.
20. Apply The Brakes. “David Foreman”. Apply The Brakes. 2014
21. Foreman, David. “More Immigration= More Americans= Less Wilderness”. Earth Island Journal. October, 2013
22. Devall, Bill and David Foreman. Interview With David Foreman. Simply Living.
Sydney: Simply Living, 1986. Print.
23. Omni Magazine and Garrett Hardin. “Interview, Garrett Hardin.” Omni Magazine.
24. Schneider, Nathan. Thank You, Anarchy: Notes From the Occupy Apocalypse. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2013. Print.
25. Tunney, Justine as Occupy Wall Street. “Ending Poverty Isn’t a Political Problem”. Twitter. February 6, 2014
26. Manuel, Rob. “Occupy Wall Street Wakes From Slumber, Thinks Some Corporations Might Be Okay Actually If You Really Think About It, Man”. Us Vs. Th3m. February 11, 2014
27. Russel, Kyle. “Meet the Google Engineer And Occupy Wall Street Organizer Who Wants Silicon Valley To Run The Country”. Business Insider. April 7, 2014
28. Frkbmb. “Justine Tunney’s Bizarre Analysis of Silicon Valley and Capitalism Itself” Storify. March, 2014
29. Gobry, Pascal-Emmanuel. “At Google, Talking To Coworkers Can Get You Fired”. Business Insider. April 30, 2011
30. Google. “Our Workforce Demographics”. Google. 2014
31. Pein, Corey. “Mouthbreathing Machiavellis Dream of a Silicon Reich”. The Baffler.
May 19, 2014
32. Sigl, Matt. “Dark Enlightenment: The Creepy Internet Movement You’d Better Take Seriously”. Vocativ. December 2, 2013
33. Yarvin, Curtis. “Against Political Freedom”. Unqualified Reservations. August 16, 2007
34. Giridharadas, Anand. “Silicon Valley Roused by Secession Call”. New York Times. October 28, 2013
35. Southern Poverty Law Center. “Bill White”. Southern Poverty Law Center Intelligence Files. 2014
36. Traynor, Ian. “Front National wins European parliament elections in France”. The Guardian. May 25, 2014.